Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The "D" Word

I just became aware of a new colloquial swear word in Utah Valley. It is the “D” word. No, it’s not the “D” word we are all probably familiar with. It is the word that you whisper and sometimes even mouth because you don’t want to utter it. You say it just waiting for everyone’s reaction. Will it be shock, sympathy, awkward silence, judgment? It’s always prefaced with some question about marriage and you say something like, “I’m…divorced.” Then without fail, there is a short pause and the disclaimer comes pouring out. I heard my mom give a disclaimer for years after her divorce. “I’m divorced….my husband was unfaithful.” Why do we feel we have to give an explanation? Is it really anyone’s business and more importantly, why do we have to feel guilty? It is because you would never want anyone to think you just gave up on your marriage; that you are like the 40% of Americans that decide to call it quits. I believe in marriage. I would have done anything to make my marriage not only successful, but happy. I never thought I would be divorced. I feel marriage is so much about commitment. When you are completely committed to a person, a different kind of love grows. So many people say you have to have love before commitment. I truly believe that the true, lasting love is a product of commitment.

Although at times I feel I should be strolling around Provo with a scarlet “D” on my sweater, I know most of the judgment from other is perceived. In Happy Valley, it is sometimes hard to know how to react to anything but happy endings. What we have to remember, is that just like any good fairytale, the opposition always comes first. The heroes are always faced by some struggle or villain. So this is my villain and someday I will have my happy ending. No, I don’t think everything will be perfect, but I will be happy. So here is to happy endings!

3 comments:

  1. Ashlee!! What a great thing to do! I love your blog, the difficultly that you face with such honesty and all with a smile on your face. You are inspirational to many.. for sure! I love you sweet girl and so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well my dear I definitely don't think that you need to wear the scarlet letter. When I think of you, I see sunshine, blue skies and midnight margaritas! :) (I was attempting to leave a little inspiration, but alas, your my inspiration!.. is that a Chicago song?? ;)) P.S. I know you are probably going for some kinda mood or theme with the black background and white font, but for some reason I go a little queasy and cross-eyed when I read it! no need to change it though.. I just may need to do a little more focusing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashlee, I'm so proud of your courage! Your attitude, your faith, and your courage are amazing in your time of pain. I'm so glad I know you. You have always been such an example to me! I love you. -Rachel Christensen

    ReplyDelete